If you’re looking to transport your taste buds to the sunny shores of Spain, there’s no better dish to try than a flavorful and aromatic fish paella. This traditional Spanish rice dish is a seafood lover’s delight, combining a variety of fresh fish, fragrant spices, and perfectly cooked rice. So, roll up your sleeves and prepare to embark on a culinary journey with this authentic fish paella recipe.
- 1 pound firm white fish fillets (such as cod, halibut, or sea bass), cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1/2 pound clams, scrubbed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio or Valencia rice
- 4 cups fish or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Warm olive oil over medium heat in a large paella pan or a wide, shallow skillet. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until they turn translucent and fragrant. Warmth
- Add the diced bell pepper and tomato to the pan and cook for a few minutes until they soften.
- Stir in the rice, paprika, saffron threads, salt, and a pinch of black pepper. Toast the rice and spices for a minute, allowing the flavours to meld.
- Pour in the white wine and let it simmer for a few minutes until it evaporates.
- Gradually add the fish or vegetable broth to the pan, one cup at a time, stirring gently. Permit the rice to cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the fish chunks to the paella pan and gently nestle them into the rice. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Carefully arrange the shrimp, mussels, and clams on the rice, pushing them slightly into the mixture. Cover the pan with a cap or aluminium foil and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the mussels and clams have opened and the shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Draw the paella from the heat and let it rest, covered, for a few minutes to allow the flavours to meld.
- Garnish the paella with freshly chopped parsley and serve it directly from the pan. Provide lemon wedges on the side for a burst of citrusy flavour.
This fish paella is a true celebration of Mediterranean flavours. The combination of tender fish, succulent seafood, aromatic spices, and perfectly cooked rice creates a satisfying and vibrant dish. Whether you’re hosting a gathering or treating yourself to a special dinner, this authentic fish paella will impress and transport you to the coastal charm of Spain. ¡Buen provecho!